The Emerging Writers Fellowship is an exciting program at Universal Pictures that is designed to identify and cultivate new and unique voices with a passion for storytelling. We are looking for talented screenwriters who have the potential to thrive, but don't have access to or visibility within the industry.
Emerging writers who are chosen to participate in the program will work exclusively with the studio over the course of a year to hone their skills. During this program, fellows will be given the opportunity to work on current Universal projects as well as pitch original story ideas. In addition to working on writing assignments, the fellows will receive industry exposure by:
- Participating in filmmaking workshops and studio seminars
- Receiving mentoring from established filmmakers
- Networking with top literary agents and managers
- Meeting with production development executives
- Attending screenings and premieres
Fellows admitted into the program will be hired under a writing service agreement and must be committed to working full-time for one year. Additionally, Universal Pictures has the option to extend a fellows' contract for a second year.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with unrestricted authorization to accept employment
- Age 18 years or older
- No attachment to 3rd party projects
- Candidates may not have any attachment to third-party projects that are currently in development.
- Must be the sole owner of any material submitted, which must be wholly original. E.g., adaptations, biopics and screenplays based on underlying materials are ineligible.
- No prior professional produced credits
This program is not intended for candidates who received Producer, Director, Assistant Director, Co-producer, Associate Producer, 2nd Unit Director, Director of Photography, Writer or Source Material credits on any feature film commercially released theatrically or television show that has been aired within the U.S.
Any candidates who do not meet the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified.
The Path to Fellowship
Universal Pictures' will accept applications for the fellowship beginning on October 21, 2014. Interested applicants should submit an original screenplay as well as additional application materials (listed below) in order to be considered. All semi-finalists will then be asked to submit a second screenplay and complete a phone interview with members of the admission committee. Ten finalists will be selected and interviewed in Los Angeles. Up to five fellows will be chosen to participate in the program.
How to Apply
A link to the fellowship application will be available at 12:00 p.m. (PST) on Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials in order to be considered. Only online submissions will be accepted. The submission window will only be open for 30 days or until we receive 500 eligible applications (whichever comes first). Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Universal Pictures reserves the right to close the application window at any time.
Original Feature Length Script
- Applicants must submit only one original feature length screenplay through the online process.
- Applicants who submit more than one original screenplay will be disqualified. Submissions must meet the following requirements:
Genre - Comedy, Romantic Comedy, Action, Adventure, Thriller or Sci-Fi (other genres are ineligible).
Length of screenplay - Must be between 85 - 125 pages.
The applicant must be sole owner of any original material submitted.
Screenplay submission must adhere to industry standards (i.e. font, spacing, format).
Scripts must not have previously been sold, optioned or otherwise exploited.
Scripts must have been registered at the WGA prior to submission (date to be determined upon opening of application cycle) and applicants will be required to acknowledge that any written materials submitted is the sole work of the applicant.
- Candidates who advance to the semi-final round will be required to submit a second script within a specified period.
Please access the Emerging Writers Fellowship Application by clicking SUBMIT TO GIG
The fellowship application will be available at 12:00 p.m. (PST) on Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014.
Please visit the NBC Universal listing for more details on the required Legal Release Form, related legal details, and additional links.